Saturday 7 July 2012

Pre-course reading - Chapter 1 (Teaching Mathematics in the 21st Century

During my school days, Mathematics was one of my favourite subjects and I did well in my exam.  I used to share with my peers that as long as you remember the formula, you would not go wrong.  Recently, I flipped through a Primary Four Maths text book, guess what, I see "stars"; I am shocked that the mathematical sums are so challenging.  I asked myself, either the sums are so demanding or I have lost touch and have forgotten the formula.  I hope that in this module, I can learn strategies and techniques to teach Mathematics in a fun way.

In Chapter 1, I have learnt 3 important segments about Maths.,  They are:-

1) The 6 principles of fundamental mathematics education
  • The Equity Principle ~ every child must be given the opportunity and adequate support in learning Maths and regardless of their background.
  •  The Curriculum Principle ~ mathematics teaching should be integrated in the curriculum, not just as an isolated subject.
  • The Teaching Principle ~ teachers must understand the content, know how individual child learn the content and concept, apply meaning instructions and strategies to enhance the interest of learning Maths.
  • The Learning Principle ~ children learn through problem solving, acquire new ideas and knowledge.
  • The Assessment Principle ~ on-going assessment through observation are vital.  Teachers must interact, ask questions to scaffold learning, in order to set new teaching goals.
  • The Technology Principle ~ playing problem solving games can support learning too; but I strongly belief that using manipulative and hands-on activities are better.
2)  The 5 process standards

Problem Solving , Reasoning and Proof, Communication, Connections and Representation are vital in all Mathematical concept.  First we identify and describe the problem ------>think of a solution and make logical solution ----->then we talk, discuss, brainstorm and write our findings ----->make connections of all our findings ----->finally we make representation to support our answer by using diagrams, charts or pictures. 

3)  The 6 major components when teaching Mathematics in a classroom
  • Conducive environment with adequate of resources.
  • Balance teaching on conceptual understanding and procedural fluency.
  • Active engagement from children by getting them in participation.
  • Incorporate technology to enhance learning and understanding.
  • Assessment on  children's progress through constant observation.
  • Scaffold children learning by letting them to voice their ideas and reasoning.
The above techniques and strategies are useful for teachers to ponder when they are planning or conducting a Maths lesson.



No comments:

Post a Comment