Thursday 19 July 2012

Mass and Weight

Something interesting (discovery)

In my first lesson, I have learnt that my mass is 48 instead of my weight is 48??????? That's so funny and interesting discovery.

My google findings

Mass - (noun) a large body of matter with no definite shape.

Cranfield University's Website, wrote that Mass is how heavy something without gravity. (http://www.racemath.info/matterandmolecules/what_is_a_mass.htm)


Weight - (noun) a body's relative mass, giving rise to downward force, the heavier of a person or thing.

Wikipedia
In science and engineering, the weight of an object is the force on the object due to gravity.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weight

How are Weight and Mass different

1) Mass is a measurement of the amount of matter something contains, while Weight is the measurement of the pull of gravity on an object.
2) Mass is measured by using a balance comparing a known amount of matter to an unknown amount of matter. Weight is measured on a scale.
3) The Mass of an object doesn't change when an object's location changes. Weight, on the other hand does change with location.

How I know how to ask when I wish to know how heavy is the person.:)


No comments:

Post a Comment